Example searches you might enter:
- 'chamaemelum nobile' (scientific binomial: accepted name or synonym)
- 'chamaemelum' (component of a scientific name e.g. genus)
- 'chamomile' (common name)
- 'ginseng' (herbal drug name)
- '삼칠삼' (herbal drug name in Arabic, Chinese or any other script)
- 'cimicifugae rhizoma' (pharmaceutical herbal drug name) *
- 'chamomillae' (part of a pharmaceutical herbal drug name)
Use Wild Cards to broaden your search
- 'aristol*' will find all names containing a word beginning with the string 'aristol' e.g. Aristolochia indica AND Piper aristolochioides
- '*caulis' will find all names containing a word including the string 'caulis' e.g. 'Curcuma phaeocaulis' or 'Aralia nudicaulis'
Use Quotation marks to narrow your search
- A search for the term faba-bean (a hyphenated common name) will find all names that contain either faba or bean
- A search for the same term enclosed in quotation marks ”faba-bean” will find far fewer names: only those explicitly matching your search string
A successful search will return:
- A list of medicinal plants which have AT LEAST ONE NAME matching your search term – NB the matching name could be a common name or scientific synonym.
- Information for each of these plants including
- the medicinal references in which it is cited
- alternative names and where they are used
- all scientific synonyms
- the parts of the plant used medicinally
- the form in which they are used
- Links to further information e.g. search PubMed using all known synonyms for that plant simultaneously.
The MPNS Resource
is global and includes the scientific, pharmaceutical, trade and common names used for herbal substances or for plants reported to have medicinal use. Versions are released periodically as we add new medicinal references/plants and refresh the plant taxonomy to reflect recent advances. Read More
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to
- join our User Group
- ask questions
- send us comments and suggestions
Kew acknowledges development grants from the Wellcome Trust and the Wolfson Charitable Trust. We further acknowledge the data, insights and feedback from our multiple partners and users.